In 1929, Charles H. Orme, Sr. and Minna Vrang Orme
(inducted into the Arizona Women's Hall of Fame in 1989) began a
personal adventure that has become the history of the Orme School. They
left their dairy farm in Phoenix and bought a ranch in the high grassland of central Arizona. Both graduates of Stanford University,
the Ormes believed in the necessity of a good education. To educate their three
children and those of the ranch employees, they opened a one-room
school in an old ranch house. From those early days, an Orme education has been based on the principles that guide the School today. One in particular states: The
best education a child can have is one that stresses a solid academic
foundation in a family setting where each student is expected to be an
important, contributing member of the community.
Charles H. Orme Jr., was a product of this education. After his
graduation with honors from Stanford University, the commitment to his parents' educational
values led him back to become Headmaster of Orme in 1945. Under his
loving care and visionary guidance, the Orme School gained a national
reputation. To accommodate this growth, the physical plant and the
academic program expanded to meet the new dynamics of a vastly increased
enrollment. In 1962, the School was incorporated as a not-for-profit
institution governed by a Board of Trustees.
Mr. Orme served as Headmaster until his retirement in 1987. His tenure
of forty-two years as the academic leader of The Orme School has ensured
that the values of hard work, community contribution, and personal
responsibility have become a permanent part of the Orme tradition.